Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Link of the Week #8 - Unmasking the Digital Truth (Blocking websites)




I'm back from a digital hiatus and ready to start the new year with my Link of the Week series.  This week I'm featuring a wiki dedicated to debunking common excuses used to justify the over blocking of websites in schools.  


Unmasking the Digital Truth provides information and resources regarding legislation and policies often cited as the reasons behind web filtering decisions.  It also discusses alternatives to blocking staff and student access to certain websites.  


Because links in my blog posts are often blocked at school for my readers, I feel it is important to look at the policies behind those blocking decisions and look for reasonable alternatives that encourage access to the best available tools the web has to offer.